overview

Advanced

(In The Electric Universe) - '..Reading “The Wisdom of Near-Death Experiences” caused me to reconsider my views on death..'

Posted by ProjectC 
'Dr. Parnia and his colleagues are to be congratulated on the completion of a fascinating study that will open the door to more extensive research into what happens when we die.'

- Dr. Jerry Nolan, Editor-in-Chief at Resuscitation (First hint of 'life after death' in biggest ever scientific study, October 7, 2014)

'..Widely used yet scientifically imprecise terms such as near-death and out-of-body experiences may not be sufficient to describe the actual experience of death.'

- Near-death experiences? Results of the world's largest medical study of the human mind and consciousness at time of death, October 7, 2014

'..Reading “The Wisdom of Near-Death Experiences” caused me to reconsider my views on death, and I suspect it will do the same for you, too.'

'I have reviewed accounts of other authors’ near death experiences (Anita Moorjani and Eben Alexander). While moved by those first hand stories, I feel Sartori’s work is the best book I have read yet on the subject. “It’s time to acknowledge that NDEs are a very valid phenomenon and to treat people who have an NDE with the respect that they deserve,” the author concludes. Reading “The Wisdom of Near-Death Experiences” caused me to reconsider my views on death, and I suspect it will do the same for you, too.'

- Tim Larison, The Wisdom of Near-Death Experiences (book review), January 25, 2014

'Two lesser-known after-effects of NDEs — reported by many researchers — are that some people develop a new sensitivity to electricity or have problems with their wristwatches. Sometimes they don’t even connect the fact that their watch can’t keep time — or stops altogether — with what they’ve been through.'

'Back in 1995, I began to wonder: is death so terrible that we must do everything in our power to delay it with powerful drugs and machines? What is death, anyway? What happens when we die? Why are we so afraid of it?

So I began reading about death — and eventually came across the concept of near-death experiences, or NDEs. People who’d experienced these strange and intense visions all seemed to be saying the same thing: death is nothing to fear. Could they be right? My scientific training told me that NDE’s were almost certain to be hallucinations. Or wishful thinking.

But, in the end, I decided to embark on a PhD on near-death experiences, while continuing to work in intensive care.

I began my eight-year study as a cynic. But by the time it ended, I was convinced that near-death experiences are a genuine phenomenon.

So what exactly is a near-death experience? At its simplest, it’s a clear and memorable vision that occurs when people are close to death — though only a small percentage of us will have one.

Researchers now agree that each vision will contain at least one of several recognised components, such as travelling down a tunnel towards a bright light, meeting dead relatives, or having an out-of-body experience.

Two lesser-known after-effects of NDEs — reported by many researchers — are that some people develop a new sensitivity to electricity or have problems with their wristwatches. Sometimes they don’t even connect the fact that their watch can’t keep time — or stops altogether — with what they’ve been through.

When I started asking the people I was researching if they’d experienced this, I discovered that many had.

One was a nurse — a colleague who’d had an NDE — who told me she’d stopped wearing watches after her own experience as they invariably didn’t work.

..could there be far more to approaching death than scientists have ever acknowledged?'

- Dr. Penny Sartori, Is this proof near-death experiences ARE real? Extraordinary new book by intensive care nurse reveals dramatic evidence she says should banish our fear of dying, January 25, 2014

'How can we explain such accurate premonitions? Sadly, science has not even begun to find answers.'

'Consider the case of Janice Wright, a British woman who was visiting friends in Virginia, USA. In the middle of the night, she told me, she’d suddenly snapped wide awake.

In her bedroom was her childhood nanny, whom she hadn’t seen in years, though they still corresponded.

‘In real life, she was well over 80,’ said Janice. ‘But in the vision, she was ageless and surrounded by an immensely bright light. She smiled at me, put her hand out and telepathically told me all was well.

‘I was shocked and stayed awake. The next morning, I told my hosts I thought my old nanny had died.

‘Later that day, a cousin called from England to tell me that’s exactly what had happened.’

How can we explain such accurate premonitions? Sadly, science has not even begun to find answers.

Similarly, no scientific theory has yet come close to explaining why a few people have near-death experiences — which can include visions of tunnels, bright lights and meetings with dead relatives.

Indeed, that was one of the problems facing me when I embarked on a PhD on the subject. Throughout my research, I was also working as a nurse in the intensive care ward of a British hospital. I was therefore able to learn at firsthand about some of the seemingly inexplicable events that can occur just before death.

To my mind, however, it’s too easy to label these as paranormal or supernatural.

Instead, I’m increasingly open to the possibility that our brains are separate from our consciousness. In other words, the brain may be channelling what some people call the soul, rather than responsible for creating it.

As a theory, it deserves scientific investigation. If proved, it would explain, for instance, why enhanced consciousness can be experienced separately from the body.

And it would also help account for the extraordinary phenomenon known as ‘shared death experience’.

Why do such remarkable events occur at the end of life? Naturally, some of the people who’ve witnessed them invoke religion and the after-life. But, equally, many remain agnostic.

Whatever our beliefs, we should keep an open mind. And when death comes — as it must — it may not be as fearful as we imagine.'

- Dr. Penny Sartori, Can you foresee the death of a loved one... and choose the exact moment you die? These accounts from an intensive care nurse will astonish you, January 27, 2014

'..their spirituality was often quite separate from the religion in which they’d been brought up.'

'According to Dr. Atwater’s own vast NDE data-base, child survivors are likely to have long-lasting relationships when they’re older — while people who have NDEs as adults, for some reason, have a higher divorce rate than average. In addition, the child survivors had lower blood pressure than average, and more sensitivity to light and sound. Intriguingly, their tolerance of prescription drugs decreased as they grew older.

Dr. Atwater also found that many considered themselves to be spiritual. However, their spirituality was often quite separate from the religion in which they’d been brought up.

In a few cases, church ministers had actually complained that children who’d experienced NDEs were disruptive — because they had asked questions clerics had been unable to answer.'

- Dr. Penny Sartori, The children who have near-death experiences - then lead charmed lives: Study reveals youngsters as young as six months can have lucid visions, January 28, 2014

Context (Bazaarmodel) - «esprit incarné» - '..It is impermissible to separate the "mental" or "spiritual" from the "material." '

Dr. Penny Sartori

Our astonishing near-death stories... by some of the thousands of you touched by our thought-provoking series by an intensive care nurse, January 28, 2014

Book Review of The Near-Death Experiences of Hospitalized Intensive Care Patients: A Five-Year Clinical Study, January 2011

Affectivity, Action, Electricity - '..in order to preserve society itself..'

(In The Electric Universe) Open Source Infrastructure, beginning of the Enterprise Nervous System (ENS)