overview

Advanced

'..H[igh] Y[ield] is a great leading indicator for equities and recessions.'

Posted by archive 
'..Worth mentioning is the HY trade signal I’ve used since the early 1990s moved to a sell signal a week ago and bears watching. HY is a great leading indicator for equities and recessions.'

- Steve Blumenthal, A Painful Week for Global Equities and Fixed Income; The 3.07% Line in the Sand is Crossed, October 12, 2018

'I think "It's over" because all these market bailouts ensured things turned really crazy - and I believe this time around it's going to take central bankers longer to respond. I sense little appetite for another round of concerted global "money" printing operations. The focus is on domestic issues rather than some global agenda.'

'In stark contrast to February's robust financial conditions, the global liquidity backdrop these days is acutely fragile. Rather than the risk embracement environment from early in the year, risk aversion holds sway. On a global basis, speculative dynamics are dominated by de-risking and deleveraging. Liquidity is being destroyed instead of created, and it is anything but clear in my mind how the unfolding tightening of financial conditions would be reversed.

It is not only the speculative backdrop that has experienced momentous change. The Fed has liquidated about $250bn of its holdings since February. Both the ECB and BOJ have significantly reduced monthly QE liquidity injections from earlier in the year. The Fed has increased rates three times for a total of 75 bps. Rates were hiked to 60% in Argentina and 24% in Turkey. Throughout the emerging markets, central banks have been raising rates.

Global bond yields are much higher than in early-February. Argentine 10-year yields have surged 360 bps to 9.66%. Yields are up 685 bps in Turkey (21.1%), 340 bps in Pakistan (11.56%), 326 bps in Lebanon, 250 bps in Indonesia, 157 bps in Russia, 152 bps in Hungary, 114 bps in Brazil, 112 bps in Philippines, 105 bps in Peru, 82 bps in South Africa, 72 bps in Colombia and 56 bps in Mexico. And these are sovereign yields. Corporate debt has performed even worse, with notable weakness in Asian high-yield and dollar-denominated corporates more generally. And it's not as if European finance is sound. Italian 10-year yields have jumped 160 bps to 3.58%. This ongoing spike in global yields has certainly placed intense pressure on leveraged speculation.

I've received numerous emails over recent months questioning the supportive comments I've directed at Chairman Powell. This historic Bubble inflated throughout the watches of Drs. Greenspan, Bernanke and Yellen. Powell will surely be the scapegoat when things fall apart. The President has wasted no time in pointing fingers. It has to be the first time a central bank has been lambasted for gradually raising rates to a loco 2.25%.

We're now, in real time, witnessing the inevitable dilemma created when a central bank falls "behind the curve." And keep in mind that rising asset prices are contemporary finance's prevailing type of inflation (inflationary manifestation). Leaving rates so low for such a long period of time was responsible for inflating myriad major Bubbles. And now central bankers face the high-risk proposition of normalizing rates in an acutely fragile Bubble backdrop. The bulls, of course, believe it would be negligent for a central bank not to reduce rates when the markets find themselves in a bit of trouble. Continuing to raise rates would be gross negligence; a show of total incompetence; and so on. President Trump wants to pin blame on Fed rate hikes, seemingly with no recollection of the "big fat ugly Bubble" he would herald on the campaign trail.

"Risk Off" has become a global phenomenon - de-risking/deleveraging within a backdrop of central banks hoping to move beyond years of repeated market liquidity backstop operations. Moreover, it is a backdrop of highly divisive politics and troubling geopolitics. It is a worrying backdrop of escalating populism, nationalism and protectionism - that will matter now that markets are faltering.

I tell my wife that "it's over" just to hear her laugh. "How many times have you said that?," she'll say. With a chuckle, I respond, "This time I mean it." We shared a little laugh together, but this time I wasn't kidding. I do vividly recall thinking "it's over" in the summer of 2012, not anticipating that the German's would tolerate Draghi's "whatever it takes" unlimited "money" printing operations. And I similarly recall thinking "it's over" with China's Bubble at the precipice in early-2016. I guess I should have anticipated China's "national team," along with a ratcheting up of QE from the BOJ and ECB and an abrupt postponement of Fed "normalization" (after one tiny baby step).

I think "It's over" because all these market bailouts ensured things turned really crazy - and I believe this time around it's going to take central bankers longer to respond. I sense little appetite for another round of concerted global "money" printing operations. The focus is on domestic issues rather than some global agenda.

And market structure has become acutely vulnerable. Trillions in perceived safe and liquid ETFs. Trillions in a hedge fund industry struggling with performance and susceptible to huge outflows. Hundreds of Trillions of derivatives susceptible to market dislocation and illiquidity. Too much derivative market "insurance" that risks fomenting an avalanche of self-feeding sell orders. And let's not forget the maladjusted U.S. economic structure that will function surprisingly poorly in a backdrop of tighter financial conditions and sinking securities markets.

In particular, it was an ominous week for the two great intertwined Bubbles, illustrated by the Shanghai Composite's and S&P500's respective 7.6% and 4.1% declines. I could go on and on, but I find it all sad and frustrating.'

- Doug Noland, Rude Awaking Coming, October 13, 2018

Context

'When the next recession arrives, they’re not going to know what hit them.'

'A global crisis in the current backdrop would make 2008 seem like a walk in the park.'

(Banking Reform - English/Dutch) '..a truly stable financial and monetary system for the twenty-first century..'