overview

Advanced

'My #1 recommendation: DON’T GET WINDOWS..' - 'Ditching Windows..'

Posted by archive 
'I’ve been writing books about Windows for 26 years now, and Windows is in horrible shape. Frankly, Apple isn’t doing much better.'

'My #1 recommendation: DON’T GET WINDOWS. Get a Chromebook. They’re much more stable, easier to use, and basically immune to all of the woes besetting Windows machines right now — infection, blue screens, bad updates, long waits for patches.

I’ve been writing books about Windows for 26 years now, and Windows is in horrible shape. Frankly, Apple isn’t doing much better.'

- AskWoody, Which PC should I get? November 25, 2018

'..using Ubuntu .. No forced reboots, no aggressive update nags.'

'So that’s been one of the most refreshing things about using Ubuntu so far. No forced reboots, no aggressive update nags. And the fact that the majority of the software you’ve installed on your own (via the included Software Center or Snap Store) updates right alongside the system.

This will mean different things to different people. For me, it means I feel more focused and less annoyed when I’m in front of my machine and writing, working, researching or just playing around. And for me, that's what matters most.'

- Forbes, Ditching Windows: Here's How Ubuntu Updates Your PC And Why It's Better, July 30, 2018

'Of the sysadmins who responded, about 63% weren't satisfied with the quality of Windows 10 updates and about 70% felt the OS' twice-yearly major feature updates either weren't useful or were rarely useful for businesses.'

'Windows sysadmins are calling on Microsoft to overhaul Windows 10 updates, saying buggy patches are forcing firms to choose between stability and security.

These problematic updates extend beyond Windows, Bradley said, highlighting that in July alone Microsoft had issued 47 bulletins about issues caused by updates to Microsoft software, ranging from SharePoint to Exchange.

Of the sysadmins who responded, about 63% weren't satisfied with the quality of Windows 10 updates and about 70% felt the OS' twice-yearly major feature updates either weren't useful or were rarely useful for businesses.'

- TechRepublic, Windows 10's buggy updates force you to choose between security and stability, says user group, August 2, 2018

Context

(In The Electric Universe) Open Source Infrastructure, beginning of the Enterprise Nervous System (ENS)

Critics warn Microsoft it needs to fix broken update process, October 19, 2018