overview

Advanced

(Russia) - '..many other issues are still unclear..' - Merkel

Posted by archive 
'..implement tougher economic sanctions..'

<blockquote>'German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Wednesday that the European Union should implement tougher economic sanctions against Russia by publishing planned measures soon.

Germany is Russia’s largest EU trade partner.

The EU approved more sanctions in principle, but didn’t publish — and thus activate — the new sanctions. Ukraine Pres. Petro Poroshenko said Wednesday that two thirds of pro-Russian troops have departed; Merkel cited a reduction in military activity, but added that “many other issues are still unclear.” The European Union would lift sanctions after Ukraine and Russia finalize and fulfills a 12-point protocol.'

- Merkel: More Russia Sanctions Needed, September 20, 2014</blockquote>

<blockquote>'When we were on the train to Rostov last month, I had no idea we were to go to Ukraine; we all believed they brought us to a base for the usual routine exercises. If I knew it was for war, I’d have quit back in Kostroma, as I have two little children at home.'

- Paratrooper of the 331st regiment of Russia’s 98th Guards Airborne Division (Source, September 20, 2014)</blockquote>

Context

<blockquote>MH17 - '..the BUK's crew "spoke with Moscow accents".'

'..never accept Russia's occupation of Crimea..'

'..violation of Ukraine's sovereignty and territorial integrity..'

(Green Energy Mix) - Biofuel: '..a 10,000 acre Joule plant will produce a reserve value of 50 million barrels, equaling a medium-sized oil field.'

Energy transition in Germany

'..to diversify their energy sources..' - '..strengthen their defences..'</blockquote>