overview

Advanced

Coronavirus: The US governor who saw it coming early

Posted by archive 
' "Mistakes that I have made throughout my career have generally been because I didn't have enough facts, I didn't dig deep enough," Mr DeWine said. "So, I made up my mind I was going to have the best information, the best data available." '

'Over the next three weeks, Mr DeWine moved to bar spectators from major sporting events - days before US professional leagues decided to cancel their seasons. He was first in the nation to declare a state-wide school shutdown. He invoked an emergency public health order to postpone Ohio's presidential primary the night before it was scheduled on 17 March.

At the time, critics dismissed Mr DeWine's strict regulations as overblown, largely out of step with Ohio's neighbouring states. And in terms of policy, the governor's approach put him at odds with fellow Republican Donald Trump, who until later in March downplayed the threat of the virus, saying it would "go away".

"On the front end of a pandemic you look a little bit alarmist, you look a little bit like a Chicken Little, the sky is falling," said Ohio Department of Health Director Amy Acton at a briefing this month. "At the end of a pandemic, you didn't do enough."

To plot his approach Mr DeWine has, by all accounts, relied heavily on Dr Acton - the last cabinet member selected by the governor when he took office last year. The selection of Dr Acton marked a change for the department - neither of her two predecessors were medical doctors.

"Mistakes that I have made throughout my career have generally been because I didn't have enough facts, I didn't dig deep enough," Mr DeWine said. "So, I made up my mind I was going to have the best information, the best data available."

In his daily briefings, Mr DeWine is quick to defer to Dr Acton for specific questions on the virus and its spread, reminding Ohioans that the state's decisions are driven by science.

These policies are "keeping us safer" he said on Tuesday. "We've got to stay at it."

"We've made difficult decisions but we have to get through this," he said of the job losses on Tuesday. "We can't let this monster come up, we need to keep pushing it down."

Still, while Ohio's infection numbers are rising, it has so far managed to avoid the surges seen in states like New York, Washington, and Louisiana, ranking 15th nationwide in terms of reported cases.

And Mr DeWine has stayed resolute.

"It has to be the type of response you take in war time because we have been invaded, literally.

"We've got to stay at it." '

- BBC, Coronavirus: The US governor who saw it coming early, April 1, 2020

Context

Coronavirus: Greatest test since World War Two, says UN chief

(Covid 19) - With Odds Against It, Taiwan Keeps Coronavirus Corralled