overview

Advanced

'Our education system spends virtually no time on how to learn from mistakes, yet this is critical to real learning..'

Posted by ProjectC 
'What is it that imbues the human being with characteristics to explore, to create, to think outside the box?'

<blockquote>'..Why is it that our educational systems have remained so resistent to change to what makes sense. The university system .. so much the same over the past .. 200 years. So little [fundamental] change .. very little awareness of the needs of human beings to be creative people. So you have [an] educational system where people come in and start teaching and have never studied the human being, as a developing creature. I'm talking about university professors.

I have three children who have just been going to the university. So I've got lots of this, through conversations of the disastrous consequences .. for many young people of professors who have no sense of the people they are working with. Where does that come from? And I think it is a certain inertia of the mindset that I was trying to describe this morning of you have a sense of this is what one needs to know and than you bring it out as knowledge (as root memorization) .. and people--at any point in their education--are they encouraged [to think.] To look at something for its own sake and say; 'what does it [the individual] need in order to develop itself better, what does it need for its own conditions?'

..If you learned like me, through the public school system, what I learned was how to get through my tests in the best way. That was what learning was about. It was a strategy. It was never for the thing itself.

So it seems to me .. if we are looking for context .. the awareness of context and practice of context in society and how it could lead to a culture that would be open to change then we need to start in kindergarten and earlier with education that is based on experience and exploration.

Rather than on: 'this is someone needs to know for that.' I hope you are aware of things, like people that are teaching PowerPoint in second grade to their children. Why are they doing it? Because their children need to know that for fifth grade .. they need to know it for high school. We have this very short term thinking. Of 'this for that, this for that, this..' But not; 'What is it that imbues the human being with characteristics to explore, to create, to think outside the box?'

It seems to me in terms of societal impact. We need to start looking much more seriously at a really heavy duty revolution in education.'

- Dr. Craig Holdrege, Electricity of Life, 2013</blockquote>

'Our education system spends virtually no time on how to learn from mistakes, yet this is critical to real learning. As a result, school typically doesn’t prepare young people for real life..'

<blockquote>'I believe that our society's “mistakephobia” is crippling, a problem that begins in most elementary schools, where we learn to learn what we are taught rather than to form our own goals and to figure out how to achieve them. We are fed with facts and tested and those who make the fewest mistakes are considered to be the smart ones, so we learn that it is embarrassing to not know and to make mistakes. Our education system spends virtually no time on how to learn from mistakes, yet this is critical to real learning. As a result, school typically doesn’t prepare young people for real life—unless their lives are spent following instructions and pleasing others. In my opinion, that’s why so many students who succeed in school fail in life.'

- Ray Dalio, Principles</blockquote>

'The new, qualitative science—which means, a science more adequate to the world we actually live in—is young and untried..'

<blockquote>'Already with Galileo, modern science was pursuing a resolve to ignore the qualitative aspects of the world. Carried forward (and even strengthened) into our own day, this resolve has resulted in a science well adapted to the machine-like aspects of the world. But it is not at all adequate to the active becoming, the contextual relatedness, and the living wholeness we discover in the world's phenomena.

Given that the central scientific enterprise has moved so resolutely away from qualities, any attempt to explore the terms of a new, qualitative science promises to be radical—and not at all easy. At the same time, there really is no escape from qualities; subtract all qualitative content from your thoughts about things, and there will be no things left. Try to imagine a tree without color or visible form, without sound in a breeze, without the smell of sap and leaf, without felt solidity, and the tree will have ceased betraying any sign of its existence. If you are inclined to redeem the situation with talk of molecules or subatomic particles, try to characterize those without appealing to qualities!

So the qualities are there in science. It's just that they go largely unacknowledged, and therefore their treatment escapes the normal discipline and rigor associated with science. The issues relating to their recovery are vast and largely unexplored. The new, qualitative science—which means, a science more adequate to the world we actually live in—is young and untried..'

- The Nature Institute, Toward a Science of Qualities</blockquote>

Context 'He payed attention to his own experiences, to his own inner life.'

<blockquote>About Craig Holdrege

(Open Source Learning) - '..it's not just universities that face extinction..' - 'The Miracle..' - Learning

(Haptonomy) - '..how affectivity shapes the human being in its being and essence throughout life.' - Dr. Catherine Dolto

'A judgment of value .. a man's affective response to definite conditions of the universe..' - Ludwig von Mises</blockquote>