overview

Advanced

(Open Source) IBM - "Big Blue" '..on its 100th year in business..'

Posted by ProjectC 
<center>Renaissance of Openness</center>

'They built services and products around open source instead of competing with open source.'

<blockquote>'IBM, on its 100th year in business, has been richly rewarded for its billion dollar investment in Linux with a market cap today that eclipsed Microsoft’s back in May. I would argue that IBM has created so much shareholder wealth largely because they got open source and they got it early. They built services and products around open source instead of competing with open source.

So I’ve probably convinced you that open source heavy-weights like Red Hat and IBM make a lot of money with open source. Where the argument gets really interesting is when you widen the net — it is almost impossible to make money WITHOUT open source. With more than 75% of global exchanges relying on Linux for their trading platform, investors can’t even make money off of Microsoft stock without trading it on a Linux platform.'

- Jim Zemlin, Who Says You Can’t Make Money with Open Source? 30 June 2011</blockquote>

*** '..the 80’s .. particular the music..'
<blockquote>Chaka Khan - I Feel For You

'Tux .. a general symbol of Linux.'</blockquote>