overview

Advanced

Prosecute Torturers and Their Bosses ('..to Prosecute Cheney..') - 'Ex-CIA boss: Cheney is 'vice president for torture'.'

Posted by ProjectC 
'Starting a criminal investigation is not about payback; it is about ensuring that this never happens again and regaining the moral credibility to rebuke torture by other governments..'

<blockquote>'Since the day President Obama took office, he has failed to bring to justice anyone responsible for the torture of terrorism suspects..

..The nation cannot move forward in any meaningful way without coming to terms, legally and morally, with the abhorrent acts that were authorized, given a false patina of legality, and committed by American men and women from the highest levels of government on down.

..crimes. They are prohibited by federal law, which defines torture as the intentional infliction of “severe physical or mental pain or suffering.” They are also banned by the Convention Against Torture, the international treaty that the United States ratified in 1994 and that requires prosecution of any acts of torture.

No amount of legal pretzel logic can justify the behavior detailed in the report. Indeed, it is impossible to read it and conclude that no one can be held accountable. At the very least, Mr. Obama needs to authorize a full and independent criminal investigation.

..any credible investigation should include former Vice President Dick Cheney; Mr. Cheney’s chief of staff, David Addington; the former C.I.A. director George Tenet; and John Yoo and Jay Bybee, the Office of Legal Counsel lawyers who drafted what became known as the torture memos. There are many more names that could be considered, including Jose Rodriguez Jr., the C.I.A. official who ordered the destruction of the videotapes; the psychologists who devised the torture regimen; and the C.I.A. employees who carried out that regimen.

Starting a criminal investigation is not about payback; it is about ensuring that this never happens again and regaining the moral credibility to rebuke torture by other governments. Because of the Senate’s report, we now know the distance officials in the executive branch went to rationalize, and conceal, the crimes they wanted to commit. The question is whether the nation will stand by and allow the perpetrators of torture to have perpetual immunity for their actions.'

- The Editorial Board (New York Times), Prosecute Torturers and Their Bosses, December 21, 2014</blockquote>

Context ('..to Prosecute Cheney..' December 22, 2014)

<blockquote>'Turner's condemnation, delivered during an interview with Britain's ITV network, comes amid an effort by Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, to pass legislation forbidding any U.S. authority from torturing a prisoner. McCain was tortured as a Vietnam prisoner of war.

Cheney has lobbied against the legislation, prompting Turner to say he's "embarrassed that the United State has a vice president for torture. I think it is just reprehensible." '

- Ex-CIA boss: Cheney is 'vice president for torture', 2005

John Yoo's Tortured Logic - By Stephen Holmes

Cheney Is Linked to Concealment of C.I.A. Project - By Scott Shane

Property rights - Civil Liberties - The Criminal N.S.A. (The New York Times)

'..a statement of "how not to dehumanize people" might read..'</blockquote>