overview

Advanced

Woodward to media: 'Calm it down and listen more'

Posted by archive 
' "..calm it down and listen more," he said. "Be on the surface respectful, but never stop the inquiry." '

Woodward to media: 'Calm it down and listen more'

By Joe Concha
May 27, 2017
Source

Legendary reporter Bob Woodward urged reporters this week to "calm it down and listen more" when covering the Trump White House.

Woodward also cautioned those in the media broaching Watergate and impeachment in speaking about investigations into the Trump campaign and possible collusion with Russia during the 2016 campaign.

"In Watergate, when Nixon fired the special prosecutor (Archibald Cox), there was a mountain of evidence against him," said Woodward in a message to the media recorded in a video by The Atlantic.

"We are not at the Watergate level yet by any means."

The video echoes comments he made in recent weeks. The 74-year-old Washington Post associate editor also said Trump's "thermonuclear war" with the media serves either side no purpose.

Trump has a approach avoidance toward the media, criticizes, calls us fake. I think it serves no one, the media, or Trump, to have a thermonuclear war with each other."

The 18-time New York Times bestseller's final advice was directed at media members directly during a time when trust from the American people is at an all-time low.

"We need to calm it down and listen more," he said. "Be on the surface respectful, but never stop the inquiry.”

The commentary comes on the heels of Woodward's perspective shared during an Axios event in Washington on Wednesday.

"I worry, I worry for the business, for the perception of the business, not just Trump supporters, they see that smugness… I think you can ride both horses, intensive inquiry, investigation, not letting up… at the same time, realize that it's not our job to do an editorial on this."

Context

'..The problem lies with unfettered finance and monetary mismanagement..'

'..the amount of leverage and excess that has accumulated in bond and Credit markets..'