overview

Advanced

(CNBC) - 'Troubling and astronomical' coronavirus cases increase urgency for hospital beds, New York Gov. Cuomo says

Posted by archive 
'The New York metro area, which includes New Jersey, New York City, and Long Island, has the highest "attack rate" in the country with nearly one in 1,000 people in the region contracting the virus — at least five times higher than the rest of the country. The attack rate is the portion of the population that gets infected.'

'"New York is the canary in the coal mine. New York is going first. We have the highest and fastest rate of infection," he said, adding that what's happening in New York will spread to California, Washington and other states from there.

Cuomo said the state has about 3,000 to 4,000 ventilators and has purchased about 7,000 more, but it needs a minimum of 30,000 additional ventilators.

"This is a critical and desperate need for ventilators," he said, adding that the state is experimenting with using one ventilator split between two patients. "We don't have any other options. There's no other way for us to get these ventilators. We've tried everything else."

He called on President Donald Trump to use the Defense Protection Act to secure more medical equipment. The Federal Emergency Management Agency is sending the state 400 ventilators, Cuomo said.

"Four hundred ventilators? I need 30,000 ventilators. You want a pat on the back for sending 400 ventilators?" Cuomo said, adding that he needs the ventilators in 14 days.

He asked Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar to release the 20,000 ventilators in the U.S. stockpile to New York.

"How can you be in a situation where you have New Yorkers possibly dying because they can't get a ventilator but a federal agency is saying I'm going to leave the ventilators in the stockpile," Cuomo said. "I mean, have we really come to that point."

Cuomo criticized Trump for pushing to lift state restrictions that have effectively placed almost half of the nation under some sort of quarantine.

The New York metro area, which includes New Jersey, New York City, and Long Island, has the highest "attack rate" in the country with nearly one in 1,000 people in the region contracting the virus — at least five times higher than the rest of the country. The attack rate is the portion of the population that gets infected.'

- CNBC, 'Troubling and astronomical' coronavirus cases increase urgency for hospital beds, New York Gov. Cuomo says, March 24, 2020

Context

(Covid 19) - 'Tomorrow I'll catch you!': Italian mayors lose patience with lockdown dodgers

(CNN) - Hong Kong appeared to have the coronavirus under control, then it let its guard down

(Covid 19) - With Odds Against It, Taiwan Keeps Coronavirus Corralled