overview

Advanced

'..a Russia that is fed up with an arbitrary legal system, state control and corrupt elites.'

Posted by archive 
<blockquote>"Mother of God, Virgin Mary, drive Putin away."

- Pussy Riot</blockquote>

'..This country .. still stuck in the Middle Ages..'

<blockquote>'..This country, the Russian people, they're still stuck in the Middle Ages. My wife wanted to pit her feminist values and her protest against this reality. All three want to take Russia from the Middle Ages to the modern era..'

- Pyotr Verzilov (Source, August 14, 2012)</blockquote>

'..a Russia that is fed up with an arbitrary legal system, state control and corrupt elites.'

<blockquote>'..The members of the punk band, notwithstanding their simple messages, stand for a Russia that is fed up with an arbitrary legal system, state control and corrupt elites.

Most of all, it has had enough of the man who had once promised to liberate his country from the legacy of the communist dictatorship, whose tough, opposition-crushing leadership style was met with great approval in large parts of the country at the beginning. Instead, he has guided his autocratic state along a path that is already heading for a repressive regime in which opposition members are arrested indiscriminately and their homes searched by the authorities, a regime where prosecutors shape their indictments to suit political requirements and intimidate opponents through interrogation. The whole thing is controlled by a man who could very well rule Russia with his tyrannical methods until 2024: Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin, 59.'

- Der Spiegel, The Path to Tyranny, August 13, 2012</blockquote>

Context

<blockquote>(Russia) - Irina Prokhorov - '..know that those who want to change Russia..'

(Russia) 'Death to Prison, Freedom to Protest' - Pussy Riot

Sir Paul McCartney supports Pussy Riot

Dear Nadya, Katya & Masha,

I’m writing to show my support for you at this difficult time.  I would like you to know that I very much hope the Russian authorities would support the principle of free speech for all their citizens and not feel that they have to punish you for your protest.  Many people in the civilized world are allowed to voice their opinions and as long as they do not hurt anyone in doing so I believe this is the best way forward for all societies.  I hope you can stay strong and believe that I and many others like me who believe in free speech will do everything in our power to support you and the idea of artistic freedom.

Wishing you the very best of luck,

Paul McCartney (Source, August 16, 2012)</blockquote>
?