overview

Advanced

'..questionings and interrogations according to the principle of "rapport building". '

Posted by archive 
<blockquote>'I am not aware of any relevant intelligence that was obtained through the use of torture.'

- Ali Soufan</blockquote>

<blockquote>'..conducted the traditional questionings and interrogations according to the principle of "rapport building".

..He revealed to us the people pulling the strings behind the attacks, entirely without torture, without waterboarding, without us having asked or anticipated that.

Soufan: In late May, I called FBI headquarters and told them about the sleep deprivation, the box, the loud music. The answer from FBI HQ was unambiguous: "We don't do that sort of thing. Come back." It was totally frustrating, and eventually we flew back to the US.

SPIEGEL: How do you explain the fact that the CIA outsourced the interrogation of the United States' most important prisoner to incompetent psychologists and that all the checks and balances within the system failed?

Soufan: It wasn't the entire CIA. Ultimately, I believe the decision was made by just a few people, who chose this course of action for political reasons, security reasons and business reasons. Many of the CIA officers were just as horrified as I was. And by the way, their massive complaints led in 2004 to an investigation and to the very critical report by CIA Inspector General John Helgerson.

Soufan: I don't think this chapter can be dealt with through legal action in today's political environment. However, we must ensure that these interrogation methods are never used again. All of us, across party lines, must read this report intensively, take its results seriously and learn from them.'

- Ex-FBI Official: 'We Left Our Most Important Prisoners To Amateurs' January 23, 2015</blockquote>

Context

<blockquote>'..seek the long game at the lowest possible cost.' - Daniel P. Bolger</blockquote>