overview

Advanced

'As our people used to say, trouble don't last always. It might last all of my lifetime, but not always.'

Posted by archive 
<blockquote>'Locals who came out to protest against hate to say they didn't want racism on their streets.'

- Joel Gunter (Source, August 16, 2017)</blockquote>

'As our people used to say, trouble don't last always. It might last all of my lifetime, but not always.'

<blockquote>'Directly across the street, at the same time, more than 500 people were packed into St. Paul's church for a multi-faith service. There were readings from the Bible and the Koran, spirituals sung by a choir, and a speech by activist and Harvard professor Dr Cornel West that drew everyone in the house to their feet.

"It is bleak that we are about to see the largest neo-fascist gathering in decades, but it is also a joy to be able to struggle against it, to bear witness to it," said Dr West after the service.

"The alt-right is a new danger. We have a right-wing gangster in the White House who emboldens them, who empowers them. So they feel they have permission for their hate to come out in public, and maybe even harm others. We are in a dangerous moment."

As the service drew to a close, and the last spirituals were sung, the congregation filed slowly out of a side door to avoid the white nationalists who were walking back up Main Street.

Late on Saturday night, after a day that began with a dawn prayer service at 6am and ended in tragedy, Reverend Brown-Grooms tried to reckon with what she had seen on the streets of her city that day.

"I come from a people who were enslaved, and if you are going to make it through that misery, there has to be a spirit which allows you to see past what your eyes see in front of you and what your ears hear, and to understand how hope forms in your heart," she said.

"As our people used to say, trouble don't last always. It might last all of my lifetime, but not always." '

- A reckoning in Charlottesville, August 13, 2017</blockquote>

Context

<blockquote>'..She fails the basic tests of judgment and ethics..' - '..rightly see him as a real threat to our Republic..' - Evan McMullin

Trump is the Product of a Failed System - By Eugene Robinson</blockquote>