overview

Advanced

'..have organizations that are more and more adaptable and far more humane..'

Posted by ProjectC 
'..Then you wake up in a world and discover it’s the irregular people, with irregular ideas developing irregular strategies that create the irregular wealth, and our organizations were never built to encourage those kinds of behaviors.

..I think we’ll have organizations that are more and more adaptable and far more humane and far more inspiring places to work.'

<blockquote>'..his new books The Future of Management and What Matters Now touch upon a more fundamental theme that few management theorists dare to explore—the need to change the very building blocks or DNA of organizations and usher in what [Hamel] calls Management 2.0.'

- Neelima Mahajan

'I began to realize that today organizations face new problems that are not simply about efficiency and discipline and alignment and scale. And yet that whole organizational model was built primarily to solve that single problem. Moreover, the way we historically solved the problem of efficiency of scale, was that we built organizations where we deskilled work, put people in silos, specialized their activities, created a very tight matrix of rules and procedures and we valued conformance above everything else: conformance to quality standards, work methods, product standards, schedules, budgets and customer requirements.

To create very efficient organizations, we had to drive the variety out of those organizations. We had to drive out the irregularities, and to do that we actually had to drive out the humanity. We wanted organizations that were as efficient as machines and that meant we needed human beings who would behave like machines. Then you wake up in a world and discover it’s the irregular people, with irregular ideas developing irregular strategies that create the irregular wealth, and our organizations were never built to encourage those kinds of behaviors.

..I think we’ll have organizations that are more and more adaptable and far more humane and far more inspiring places to work.'

- Gary Hamel (Interview, December 15, 2014)</blockquote>

Context

<blockquote>(Praxeology) - '..Menger’s experience stressed subjective factors..'</blockquote>