overview

Advanced

'..wood burning is the single largest source of hazardous particle pollution during winter, creating even more particle pollution than vehicles and industry.'

Posted by archive 
'Most of the harmful pollutants from wood burning don’t rise. They hang around at ground level for up to ten days .. The fine particle pollutants from wood burning are so small that they infiltrate even the most well-insulated and weather-stripped homes..'

'In many locations, such as the San Francisco Bay Area, wood burning is the single largest source of hazardous particle pollution during winter, creating even more particle pollution than vehicles and industry.

In many areas, wood burning is also one of the most significant sources of toxins such as dioxin.

Unlike highly regulated industrial sources of pollution, wood burning occurs right in the neighborhoods where we live—sometimes right next door. This means that people can be subjected to levels of hazardous pollution from wood burning that are far higher than from any other pollution source.

Wood smoke rises, so what’s the problem?

Most of the harmful pollutants from wood burning don’t rise. They hang around at ground level for up to ten days.

On cold winter days (when people tend to burn wood) the problem is even worse, because the weather conditions create temperature inversions that put a lid over the lower atmosphere, trapping hazardous pollutants close to ground level.

I can just shut my windows and I’ll be fine.

The fine particle pollutants from wood burning are so small that they infiltrate even the most well-insulated and weather-stripped homes. Scientific studies have shown that particle pollution levels inside homes reach up to 70% of the pollution levels outdoors.

- 'Wood smoke definitely has a negative health impact'

Context

Residential heating with wood and coal: health impacts and policy options in Europe and North America

The "CityTree" - 'Air pollution is one of the world's invisible killers.'