overview

Advanced

Why China is Shtupped: A Synthesis - By Streetwise Professor

Posted by archive 
Something of a kerfuffle has broken out over the issue of China’s economic angst. On one side is Adam Posen, who in a Foreign Affairs article attributes China’s current predicament to the reluctance of private firms to invest, which he in turn attributes to their fears that an authoritarian regime like Xi’s will not respect their property rights and may expropriate them. On the other side, Adam Tooze (on Substack) and Michael Pettis (on X or Twitter or whatever it identifies as these days) claim no, China’s problems are the consequences of fundamental structural imbalances dating back years, and rooted in pre-Xi economic policies.

All of them are right in parts, and wrong in parts. I assert my post of the other day synthesizes the right parts ;-)

It’s perhaps convenient to boil things down thus:
    - What mess does China find itself in?
    - How did it get into this mess?
    - What prospects does it have to get out of this mess?
Pettis and Tooze (and others, including me and not just the other day) attribute China’s current mess as the result of huge imbalances (over-investment, underconsumption) and secular demographic problems compounded by a very weak social safety net.

It got into this mess as the result of a development model and associated policies that heavily favored fixed investment (especially in infrastructure and housing financed by debt) and exports, and punished private consumption. The policies involved are myriad, but they can be summarized as central planning without complete government ownership. That is, the direction of even private enterprise was substantially guided by government policies that caused prices to encourage the types of economic activity that the government favored. The hand of the state was very visible indeed in China–something which fanboyz such as Thomas Friedman and too many western CEOs to count waxed rhapsodic about. (To which I should add the incentives faced by government employees at all levels who were rewarded for meeting certain aggregate growth targets that were most easily achieved by borrowing to make fixed investments–high powered incentives can be dangerous, my friends.).

But that model is played out, and was in fact always unsustainable: what’s amazing to me is how long they sustained it. But as Herb Stein said, if something can’t go on forever, it will stop. And that model couldn’t go on forever. It’s stopping time is about now. Hence China’s current distress.

So how to get out? The hydraulic economists who rely primarily on accounting identities (for all my admiration for Pettis’ diagnosis of structural imbalances, he fits that description to a large degree), the answer is: Correct the imbalances! Shift China from an investment focus to a consumption focus!

Well, how, exactly? And that’s where Posen’s critique of Xi-o-nomics–and mine–comes in. Achieving a new balance would require the CCP and the state to reduce their control over the economy. But the authoritarian Xi is hell-bent on increasing the Party’s–and his–control. For the reasons that Posen sets out, and many more besides, Xi’s kontrolle uber alles mentality is inimical to a fundamental structural shift in China’s economy, and especially a shift driven by private enterprise and private consumers, that is, a shift driven from below not from above. And below is the only place it can possibly come from.

So I would say that Pettis and Tooze prevail on the “how did China get into this mess?” issue, Posen on the “how does China get out of this mess (or not)?” issue, and all are largely in agreement in describing the just what the mess is.

The upshot of this synthesis is that China is shtupped. And the concern for those outside of China should be how a shtupped autocrat responds.

- Why China is Shtupped: A Synthesis, August 15, 2023

Context

(An economic Ponzi scheme) – China's .. ‘Balance-Sheet Recession’

(An economic Ponzi scheme) – Evergrande Moment – ‘China Evergrande is not ‘too big to fail’, says Global Times editor’

(The New Alliance)(China is 'threat to world') - '..Beijing's behaviour..'