overview

Advanced

(Earth Defence - Earth Shield) - PACOM supports China invite to RIMPAC 2014 “They are going to have to come out behind their walls.”

Posted by ProjectC 
<blockquote>'..The potential for maritime cooperation in disaster relief loomed large during the exercises this year as well, and was specifically mentioned by USN officials..'

- Dr. Robert Farley, 2012</blockquote>

“They are going to have to come out behind their walls.”

<blockquote>'The next iteration of the biannual Rim of the Pacific military exercises could include China’s navy, a move the top U.S. commander in the Pacific said Wednesday is “the right thing to do.”

Locklear said having China participate in any way is a good next step. Military officials long have complained about China’s lack of transparency, particularly about their large defense force, even as it has become a major global economic power. “This is really a country of contradictions,” he told the San Diego audience, describing its “walled-in society” from his travels there. “They are going to have to come out behind their walls.”

“Their military has to reach out more to the militaries in the region. I think that they don’t think they are not transparent,” Locklear said, speaking with reporters. “So bringing them into the international security environment in a way that allows them to be comfortable to be operating with other partners and neighbors in the region ... will help them better understand what we mean about them being more transparent.”

“And I think there are good possibilities that we will move towards a partnership arrangement with China as well. I think that is in the best interest of the global security environment.”

- PACOM supports China invite to RIMPAC 2014, Sep 19, 2012</blockquote>

"Why are the Chinese acting against their best interests?"

<blockquote>'I can't forget the plaintive look in the eyes of our Asian friends back in the 2000s. Their first question — "Why are the Chinese acting against their best interests?" — quickly led to a second: "Who's in charge there anyway?"

- '..our Chinese friends need to remember who we are..' February 08, 2013</blockquote>

Context Russians, Indians Join Largest RIMPAC In Years; Chinese Welcome Too, Says CNO

<blockquote>Pentagon “hopeful” China will join RIMPAC

RIMPAC 2012 Humanitarian Assistance/Disaster Response (HADR)

BBC - NEOShield to assess Earth defence

Military Open Source Software Working Group Conference

Open Source (Capitalism) - Open Relief: Open, modular, information solutions for disaster relief

(Long term: Phase 3 - Earth Shield, page 22)</blockquote>