overview

Advanced

Kwaheri Satao, One Of Kenya's Legendary 'Tuskers' Is Killed By Poachers

Posted by ProjectC 
<blockquote>'The appalling news of Satao’s death comes at a time when Kenya is preparing to showcase our conservation successes at the UNEP Governing Assembly which starts on 24 June. Instead Kenyan delegates will bear the heavy burden of conveying the news of the passing of this gentle, intelligent and compassionate giant.

I call on Achim Steiner, UNEP Executive Director, to set the tone for the Governing Assembly by starting with a minute’s silence: so that delegates can reflect on their duty of care towards our fellow beings, and in memory of Satao, Mountain Bull, and all the others who have died before them.'

- Paula Kahumbu, Kenya’s biggest elephant killed by poachers, June 13, 2014</blockquote>

<blockquote>'Kenya is mourning the death of one of its legendary elephants.

Satao was known as a tusker, one of the few remaining elephants whose tusks are so big they almost touch the ground. Unfortunately, Satao faced an end many others have faced before: He was killed by poachers, who mutilated his head to remove his ivory.'

- Eyder Peralta, One Of Kenya's Legendary 'Tuskers' Is Killed By Poachers, June 14, 2014</blockquote>

<blockquote>'Poachers know the areas the bulls frequent just as much as the rangers, biologists, conservationists, guides etc. These bulls are being targeted all the time. We found another injured bull today, and so many of the them and the larger cows have poison arrow wounds. We see wounded elephants every time we drive out to be with them – some old wounds, some fresh. The Tsavo Conservation Area is huge – 16,000 sq miles (twice the size of Wales) and as I didn’t give away the location of the big tusker (in the same way that I haven’t mentioned when and where the elephants congregate) I don’t think he is any more endangered. If we do nothing though, then we lose them – one by one. I feel that only by publicising their plight can we bring them to international attention and get any action. Otherwise, they ( and most of Africas other elephants) will be gone within a decade.'

- Mark Deeble (<a href="[markdeeble.wordpress.com];, March 26, 2014)</blockquote>

<blockquote>'I am appalled at what that means – that the survival skills that the bull has painstakingly learnt over half a century have been rendered useless by the poachers’ use of mass-produced Chinese goods; GPS smart-phones, cheap motorcycles and night vision goggles.'

- Mark Deeble, Satao: last of the great tuskers, March 23, 2014</blockquote>

<blockquote>'I’d not mentioned the bull’s name when I first posted this piece as I thought it risked drawing attention to the area where he lived. Now that Satao’s death has been confirmed, that no longer matters and I’ve included his name in the title. He was very special. If his death can focus the world’s attention on the terrible trade in ivory and help end it, then it won’t have been in vain.'

- Mark Deeble (<a href="[markdeeble.wordpress.com];, June 14, 2014)</blockquote>

<blockquote>'Because the poachers have successfully killed off all the large male and female African elephants with long tusk, they have changed the genetic structure of the African elephants forever. No long will people be able to witness these massive-long-tusk beasts roaming Africa… They have been replaced with a smaller and shorter tusked species. Poaching has forever changed Africa, and the majestic elephant.'

- The last surviving great tusker Satao, is dead, June 14, 2014</blockquote>

Context

<blockquote>Twenty Global Issues, Twenty Years to Solve Them

GIN

Kwaheri Satao - Saying Goodbye to a Tsavo Icon, June 13, 2014

Elephant Crisis Fund

Save the Elephants

Elephants without Borders</blockquote>