overview

Advanced

(Haptopraxeology)(To Heal, Teal)(Reinventing Organizations) - '..the realms of body, emotions, relationships, nature, and spirit..'

Posted by ProjectC 
'..I sometimes ask myself the question, “Which of these products will still be around in a Teal society”? If you play the game, you might find the answers surprising. (I certainly find them ironic, as advertising and malls might well be among the casualties.) In the shift to Teal, whole industries are likely to dis-appear, helping us reduce our ecological footprint. And we are likely to witness the emergence of growth in other domains of activity, such as in the “high touch” services tending to our physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being.

..we have insights into how to put these musings into practice, how to bring to life truly soulful organizations. We have, perhaps for the first time, a good grasp of the structures, practices, and cultures that are needed to create purposeful and energizing ways to come together in organizations.'

Alternative consumerism

Zero economic growth does not mean no growth. The tragedy of our times is that we’ve mistaken prosperity with growth. Teal societies might have zero or even negative GDP growth but be much richer emotionally, relationally, and spiritually. In all these domains, we can pursue growth and never worry about hitting a wall.

Given all we know about people operating from the Evolutionary-Teal perspective, we can safely predict that a Teal society will look back and find today’s consumerism mindless. Many of today’s product advertisements are pitched at our ego fears: buy this product and you will become popular, successful, and good-looking. When people are driven by internal more than external motivators, it is fair to assume that many of these products will no longer have a market. I find the following exercise fun as well as insightful: when I walk through a mall or sit through advertisements on TV, I sometimes ask myself the question, “Which of these products will still be around in a Teal society”? If you play the game, you might find the answers surprising. (I certainly find them ironic, as advertising and malls might well be among the casualties.) In the shift to Teal, whole industries are likely to dis-appear, helping us reduce our ecological footprint. And we are likely to witness the emergence of growth in other domains of activity, such as in the “high touch” services tending to our physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being.

Rebirthing of existing industries

A new worldview will also transform some of the most fundamental human activities?the way we grow food, educate children, care for the sick, and impart justice, to name a few. Intensive agriculture will yield to some form of advanced organic farming practices. In the field of education, our current narrow definition of knowing (analytical, right-brain) will likely yield to a more holistic approach where learning includes the realms of body, emotions, relationships, nature, and spirit. Schools and universities, which today mold students through uniform, factory-like batch processes, will in all probability be completely reinvented in a way that every learner co-creates his or her unique learning journey. It’s fair to assume that hospitals and medical practices will change in fundamental ways, as they integrate a more soulful perspective on health care and integrate the best of traditional and alternative practices. What about the judiciary and the prison system, currently still very much stuck in Amber, when not in Red? What would a Teal justice system look like, where failure does not call for punishment, but for reparation and an invitation to grow?

Evolutionary democracy

Democracy as we know it emerged with the Orange/Green worldview. In all probability, Teal governance will deepen democracy with more citizen involvement (crowdsourcing technology applied to both the executive and legislative branches of government at all levels of power, for example). And we might find ways to ground human decision-making in the basic evolutionary unfolding of the world. Rather than projecting what people want onto the world (the basic premise of democracy), we might look for ways to listen in to what the world is calling for.

Spiritual re-enchantment

The fixed religious belief systems of traditional (Amber) societies have been challenged by the scientific and materialistic outlook of (Orange) modernity. In response, some people cling to their traditional worldviews with all the more passion and vehemence, leading to the many religious, sectarian, and ethnic flashes of violence we experience all over the world today. Some people read this as a sign of religious resurgence. From a developmental perspective, these are probably signs of Amber’s waning power, as society moves to later stages. In Teal, people are satisfied neither with religious dogma (Amber) nor with the exclusively materialistic outlook of modernity (Orange).
They seek unity and transcendence through personal experience and practices. This offers the perspective of Teal societies that heal previous religious divisions and re-enchant the materialistic world of modernity through non-religious spirituality.

The book muses on the possibilities that could open up if we built organizations not on the template of machines, but seeking inspiration from life and nature. Thanks to extraordinary pioneers—the founders of Buurtzorg, Resources for Human Development, Morning Star, Heiligenfeld, AES, FAVI, and HolacracyOne, to name but a few—we can now go a step further: we have insights into how to put these musings into practice, how to bring to life truly soulful organizations. We have, perhaps for the first time, a good grasp of the structures, practices, and cultures that are needed to create purposeful and energizing ways to come together in organizations.

These are extraordinary times to be alive. Sometimes I can’t wait to see what the future will bring. In the words of Wheatley and Kellner-Rogers, I can only wonder: If we can be in the world in the fullness of our humanity, what are we capable of?

- Frederic Laloux, Reinventing Organizations (2014), p. 295 - 305

Context

(To Heal)(Reinventing Organizations) - '..news about what happening in the space of organizations going Teal.'

(Bazaarmodel - To Heal - Teal) Dream - Semco Style

‘..where we learn the Art of Being Human’

'A judgment of value .. a man's affective response to definite conditions of the universe..' - Ludwig von Mises

2Grid