overview

Advanced

'..prosecutor Carla Del Ponte has announced she is quitting..'

Posted by archive 
'She and the other commission members have repeatedly called on the Security Council to refer the situation in Syria to the International Criminal Court.'

<blockquote>'Former war crimes prosecutor Carla Del Ponte has announced she is quitting a United Nations commission investigating human rights abuses in Syria because it "does absolutely nothing".

She has served on the UN Commission of Inquiry on Syria for nearly five years.

Syria's civil war has left more than 300,000 people dead and displaced millions.

Ms Del Ponte, a former Swiss attorney general, made her name probing war crimes in Rwanda and the ex-Yugoslavia.

"I am frustrated, I give up," Ms Del Ponte told the Swiss newspaper Blick. "I have written my letter of resignation and will send it in the next few days".

She added that "everyone in Syria is on the bad side. The [Bashar al-] Assad government has perpetrated horrible crimes against humanity and used chemical weapons. And the opposition is now made up of extremists and terrorists".

Later, she told a panel discussion at the Locarno Film Festival: "I am quitting this commission, which is not backed by any political will.

She and the other commission members have repeatedly called on the Security Council to refer the situation in Syria to the International Criminal Court.'

- Carla Del Ponte: War crimes expert quits UN Syria inquiry, August 6, 2017</blockquote>

Context

<blockquote>'..Syria .. how do you repair its people?'</blockquote>