overview

Advanced

'Boris [Nemtsov] was one of the most problematic politicians for the Kremlin.'

Posted by archive 
<blockquote>'I maintain, not as kind words for the deceased, but as a sober appraisal: Boris was one of the most problematic politicians for the Kremlin.'

- Alexey Navalny (Source, March 3, 2015)</blockquote>

'All the stores here were privately owned. Every few yards we stopped to talk to the shopkeepers and see what they had to sell. No greater contrast with the drab uniformity of Moscow could be imagined … A combination of excellent local products, talented entrepreneurs and laws favourable to enterprise applied by honest and capable political leadership could generate prosperity and progress.'

<blockquote>'Thatcher’s interest in Russia—and her support for the cause of freedom in Russia—did not wane after her own retirement and the demise of the Soviet system. “I had heard back in London that the Governor of the [Nizhny Novgorod] province, Boris Nemtsov, was … committed to a radical programme of what some call Thatcherism but what I had always regarded as commonsense,” she wrote in her seminal book Statecraft, recalling her 1993 visit to Nizhny Novgorod. Having become governor in 1991, Nemtsov embarked on an ambitious program of free market reforms that would propel his region from 70th to 7th place in the country in terms of socioeconomic development. Political leaders from around the world—including Newt Gingrich and Alain Juppé —came to Nizhny Novgorod to witness its “economic miracle.” “The Governor and I took a walk down Bolshaya Pokrovskaya street,” Thatcher continued. “All the stores here were privately owned. Every few yards we stopped to talk to the shopkeepers and see what they had to sell. No greater contrast with the drab uniformity of Moscow could be imagined … A combination of excellent local products, talented entrepreneurs and laws favourable to enterprise applied by honest and capable political leadership could generate prosperity and progress.”

Thatcher would continue to support Boris Nemtsov when he became leader of the democratic opposition to Vladimir Putin, sending personal greetings to the conventions of Nemtsov’s SPS party in 2001 and 2003. “The last time I saw her was at her 80th birthday party [in 2005],” Nemtsov recalls. “She approached me and asked me just one question: ‘When will he [Putin] leave?’” “She clearly understood what is Putin and what is Putinism,” concurs Vladimir Bukovsky, “She would say [to me] with great regret, ‘Why is your country so unlucky?’ … She was upset about what was going on [in Russia].” '

- Margaret Thatcher Understood Russia, April 3, 2015</blockquote>

'..Markets are very good at doing something where hierarchies typically underperform .. The idea of markets and using market mechanisms to make decisions is only one of the principles that we need when we think about ‘Management 2.0’..'

<blockquote>'So what I’ve started to do over the last few years is say: ‘Alright, what things in our world are very adaptable?’ If we need organizations that can change as fast as change itself, then where do you look to see this in action? What are the systems that seem to be very resilient and very adaptable? One is markets. So the New York Stock Exchange, over the last 50 years, has outperformed every company on the New York Stock Exchange. Markets are very good at doing something where hierarchies typically underperform .. The idea of markets and using market mechanisms to make decisions is only one of the principles that we need when we think about ‘Management 2.0’. If you look, for example, at the web, it is extraordinarily innovative and as a platform for innovation it is constantly evolving and adapting, spawning new business models and new forms of social organization..'

- Gary Hamel ('..You really have to be able to think about the post-bureaucratic world..', December 15, 2014)</blockquote>

Context

<blockquote>'..I believe in responsibility but not in pyramidal hierarchy .. the negative value of structure. Structure creates hierarchy, and hierarchy creates constraint..'

(Management innovation) - The End of Management and the Rise of Organizational Democracy

(Open Source)(Management innovation) - Crisp DNA _ The inner workings of a .. company

Beyond democracy - 'Open source .. to positively change our society..'</blockquote>