overview

Advanced

Review The Northern Lights -- Excellent Material for History of Science - By Chris Reeve "pln2bz"

Posted by ProjectC 
<blockquote>'I would like to mention that Chapman had an opportunity to observe Kristian Birkeland's terrella experiment as recreated by Hannes Alfven. From what I understand, from other sources, Sydney Chapman refused to observe the terrella in operation when he was given the chance. This is a very important detail that I hope she decides to include in any future revisions as it perfectly replicates the way in which modern mainstream astrophysicists treat theories which they do not like. Rather than disproving them, they will refuse to read about them.'</blockquote>

Excellent Material for History of Science

By Chris Reeve "pln2bz"
October 31, 2007
Source

This review is from: The Northern Lights (Paperback)

Science is oftentimes taught today as if it has been a linear process, and students are rarely asked to consider putting themselves into the shoes of a particular time period or to think about the theories and experiments that actually did not go so well. The end result is that few science students understand the simple process of science, and increasingly believe that mainstream science is always correct. They fail to realize that it is a fact that certain fringe scientific concepts today will end up mainstream within a few decades. Kristian Birkeland was in fact one of the scientific heretics of his day (from the perspective of the British at least), and much of what he said in his time has turned out to be true. People studying the history or philosophy of science, electromagnetism or space plasmas will appreciate the background that this material provides.

I've been told by an advocate of mainstream astrophysics that the book gets some details "wrong". I can only imagine now that they were referring to the epilogue, and specifically the disparaging statements regarding Sydney Chapman and Birkeland's treatment by establishment science. If I am right in this regard, I would have to take Lucy Jago's side on the debate. I would like to mention that Chapman had an opportunity to observe Kristian Birkeland's terrella experiment as recreated by Hannes Alfven. From what I understand, from other sources, Sydney Chapman refused to observe the terrella in operation when he was given the chance. This is a very important detail that I hope she decides to include in any future revisions as it perfectly replicates the way in which modern mainstream astrophysicists treat theories which they do not like. Rather than disproving them, they will refuse to read about them.

I found no serious faults with the book other than that though. The book would especially make a great read for an aspiring electrical engineer.